This course offers caregivers information about restraints, both physical and chemical. It includes definitions, statistics, federal laws and client and family rights related to restraints. Learners will review the potential risks of restraints, the role of bed rails in restraining clients and some safe alternatives to physical and chemical restraints. The course also focuses on how to prevent client elopement without the use of personal restraints.
- Define and give examples of physical and chemical restraints.
- Discuss how patient rights affect the use of restraints.
- Name at least five physical problems that can be caused by physical restraints.
- Describe at least three ways you can promote bed safety for your clients.
- Name at least three ways to prevent client elopement.