Summer Safety Tips
This inservice gives an overview of heat-related illnesses, including heat rash, heat edema, heat syncope, heat exhaustion and more.
Hot weather brings a variety of challenges for caregivers. This inservice gives an overview of heat-related illnesses, including heat rash, heat edema, heat syncope, heat exhaustion and more. It provides information on summer weather terminology, the Heat Index and the UV Index. It also gives tips for helping clients deal with the heat (including some special tips for home health clients). And, for caregivers who depend on a car to get to work and/or clients’ homes, there are tips on summer car care and summer driving safety. A perfect inservice to get caregivers (and their clients) through the hot weather!
- Discuss why sick and/or elderly people are at greater risk for heat-related illnesses.
- Describe the symptoms of at least three common heat-related illnesses.
- Define summer weather terms and demonstrate how to use the Heat Index.
- List at least four ways to stay safe on the roads during the summer months.
- Demonstrate your understanding of heat-related illnesses during your daily work with your clients.