An overview for nurse aides of fluid and electrolyte fundamentals, including a description of the most vital electrolytes and their role in keeping the body in balance. Reviews the importance of water balance within the body and how measuring intake and output relates to water balance. Covers the signs of dehydration and fluid and electrolyte challenges in certain client populations.
- Define dehydration and list signs and symptoms associated with it.
- Describe the function of electrolytes in the body.
- Develop a plan to respond to a fluid imbalance in your client.
- Demonstrate accurate I&O reporting and state why it is important to do so.
- Describe special populations of people that may need more careful monitoring of fluid balance and state why this is so.