A general overview of the causes and management of intellectual disabilities. This lesson provides a basic understanding of caring for people with intellectual disabilities — emphasing similarities rather than differences — to foster compassion and empathy for clients.
- Define intellectual disability.
- Discuss the common causes of intellectual disability.
- Describe the four levels of intellectual disabilities.
- Name at least two ways (for each area) to help clients who have intellectual disabilities meet their mental, physical, behavioral, and social challenges.
- Describe how you can support the rights of clients with intellectual disabilities.