This module provides caregivers with an overview of a variety of assistive devices available to improve the quality of life of clients with limitations and/or disabilities. Covers the purpose of each device and how nursing assistants can help their clients use the device. Includes information about the emotional adjustment a client may experience when first using an assistive device.
- Define assistive devices.
- Discuss why some clients find it difficult to adapt to assistive devices.
- Name at least twelve assistive devices that are or could be used by your clients.
- Watch for clues (as you perform client care) that your client may need an assistive device.
- Make suggestions to the health care team regarding assistive devices that may be useful to your clients.