An overview of the risk factors and warning signs of suicidal behavior. Includes information about how illness, mental health, and environmental factors impact a person’s risk for suicide. Discusses how to reach out to depressed clients and how to help clients who are at risk for suicide.
- Identify at least four risk factors that may lead a person to think about, plan, attempt or commit suicide.
- List three warning signs you may observe in suicidal clients.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with depressed or suicidal clients.
- Describe at least five ways you can help with suicide prevention amongst clients.
- Use appropriate referrals and resources to intervene when a client is suicidal and state why it is important to do so.