This inservice provides caregivers with an overview of substance abuse including alcohol, illegal drugs, and prescription drugs. Provides a basic understanding of this widespread problem and gives tips for working with clients who are actively abusing or who are recovering. Touches on the problem of substance abuse among health care providers.
- Discuss the two main theories about the cause of addiction.
- Name at least six warning signs of substance abuse.
- Describe the harmful effects of alcohol and drug abuse.
- Name at least three types of treatments for substance abuse.
- Demonstrate your ability to work with clients who are current or former substance abusers.