An overview of schizophrenia, including information about the types, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of the disease. Gives caregivers tips on dealing with hallucinations, delusions and the side effects of antipsychotic drugs. And, it challenges caregivers to recognize and understand their own feelings about mental illness.
- Describe three different types of schizophrenia.
- Discuss care of the client with hallucinations, delusions, apathy, and withdrawal.
- Describe treatment options for people with schizophrenia.
- List the side effects of antipsychotic medications and describe how to help a client experiencing these side effects.
- Describe caregiver burnout and how to avoid it.