Understanding Pain & the Elderly
A lesson for caregivers on how pain affects the elderly, including common causes and types of pain.
A lesson for caregivers on how pain affects the elderly, including common causes and types of pain. Discusses why pain is undertreated among the elderly, the challenges of assessing pain in the elderly and how caregivers can help their older clients cope with pain.
- Describe the differences between acute and chronic pain.
- List at least three common causes of pain among the elderly.
- Discuss at least four reasons why pain may not be fully managed for elderly clients.
- Describe at least three obstacles to assessing pain in elderly clients.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of how pain affects the elderly as you go about your daily work.