This lesson provides an overview of the various kinds of ostomies. Includes information about why a client may have an ostomy, permanent vs. temporary ostomies, and general care of ostomies. Discusses the emotional impact of having an ostomy and provides tips for helping clients with their nutrition, their elimiation program, and their ostomy care.
- Define “ostomy” and explain its purpose.
- Describe at least three different kinds of ostomies.
- Discuss at least four different complications that are common for people with ostomies.
- Discuss the personal care, skin care, and nutritional needs of people who have ostomies.
- Assist clients with ostomy care, as permitted by workplace policy and state regulations.