This inservice gives an overview of the biology of hoarding disorder and its causes. It includes a comparison of object and animal hoarding and explains how hoarding disorder is diagnosed and treated. Your aides will gain tips for helping clients who hoard–whether or not they are receiving treatment. The module also offers insights on safety and sanitation issues and how to help hoarders living in long-term care facilities.
- Define hoarding disorder and list its three main characteristics.
- Describe what is happening in the brain that can lead one to hoard.
- Distinguish between object hoarders and animal hoarders.
- Discuss the role that behavioral therapy and medication play in treating hoarding disorder.
- Help develop and/or follow a plan of care that is sensitive to the needs of hoarders (whether or not they are in treatment).