This module provides caregivers with a review of the gastrointestinal system and how it functions normally. It includes an overview of fifteen common GI disorders including nausea and vomiting, heartburn, ulcers, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, food intolerances…and more! Tips for helping clients are provided for each common disorder. Your nurse aides will learn how fiber affects the GI tract and the signs of symptoms that indicate a GI disorder is serious.
- Identify at least six components of the digestive system.
- Discuss at least seven common GI disorders.
- Discuss the importance of dietary fiber to the digestive tract.
- List at least five GI-related observations that should be reported immediately to your supervisor.
- Demonstrate your understanding of common GI disorders throughout your daily client care.