Understanding Bleeding Disorders
An overview of common bleeding disorders such as hemophilia and Von Willebrand disease.
This course provides an overview of common bleeding disorders such as hemophilia and Von Willebrand disease, plus bleeding as a consequence of blood thinning medications. It explains the basics of the clotting process, types of bleeding disorders and some common treatments. It also discusses anticoagulant therapy and provides safety tips for clients on blood thinners. Learners will gain information on handling a bleeding emergency as well as how to prevent injury and bleeding. In addition, this topic discusses pain management and nutritional support for clients with blood disorders.
- Explain how a bleeding disorder leads to excessive bleeding.
- List three common bleeding disorders and describe their most common symptoms.
- Recognize and respond appropriately to a bleeding emergency.
- Describe at least three things you can do to prevent bleeding in clients who have bleeding disorders or who take blood thinners.
- Demonstrate safe, effective pain management strategies for sudden and long-term pain associated with bleeding disorders.