This course provides background on the basic biology of Alzheimer’s disease, its three stages and how it is diagnosed and treated. Caregivers will gain insight into how to communicate with AD clients, how to keep them safe and how to meet their personal care, nutritional and emotional needs.
- Describe what is happening inside the brain of someone with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Discuss the common side effects of AD medications and demonstrate proper protocol in reporting side effects when observed.
- List the three stages of Alzheimer’s Disease and describe the symptoms associated with each stage.
- Describe at least three ways to meet each of the following needs of the Alzheimer’s client: personal care needs, nutritional needs, and emotional needs.
- Demonstrate at least three effective strategies for communicating with Alzheimer’s clients.