This OSHA mandatory topic explains the “chain of infection” and how caregivers can break the chain to prevent infections. Learners will review Standard Precautions, Contact Precautions, Airborne precautions, and Droplet Precautions. Caregivers will gain knowledge about proper handwashing, safe handling of client care equipment and how to deal with biohazardous waste. This topic is required annually!
- Describe Standard Precautions and discuss why they are so important in the healthcare setting.
- List at least 5 of the “Top Ten” Standard Precaution guidelines.
- Discuss the difference between Standard Precautions and transmission-based precautions.
- Explain how healthcare workers can break the chain of infection.
- Demonstrate proper infection control precautions in your daily work.