This course reviews proper body mechanics and explains why they aren’t enough to prevent back injuries. It also covers the basic types, uses, operation tips, safety features and slings for a Hoyer-type mechanical lift. After completing the module, caregivers will be armed with the knowledge necessary to prevent back injuries and to safely transfer clients with a sling lift. (NOTE: Hands-on practice with actual lifts should be performed after completing this module.)
- Discuss why caregivers have a high risk for serious back injuries.
- Explain how using both proper body mechanics and mechanical lifts lead to safe patient transfers.
- Name the five basic parts of a Hoyer-type sling lift.
- Describe at least five things a caregiver should do to prepare for using a mechanical lift.
- Demonstrate knowledge of mechanical lifts during hands-on practice with the lifts used at your workplace.