This important topic focuses on the most common types of natural disasters including fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, winter weather and earthquakes. It also provides information on nuclear power plant disasters, bomb threats, and terrorism threats. Caregivers will learn their role in disaster planning and preparedness and how to help their clients put together a disaster preparedness kit.
- Identify and prepare for all possible disasters that have the potential to strike in their area.
- Discuss their professional responsibility during a mandatory evacuation.
- List at least 3 ways to stay safe during a tornado, an earthquake, a hurricane, and a winter storm.
- Describe the steps to handle a bomb or terror threat, either by phone or by a suspicious package.
- Demonstrate readiness by assembling a disaster preparedness kit.